SOTOZEN.COM > Practice > Food as Practice > Recipes > Candied Sweet Potatoes
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 Japanese sweet potato
100 cc. (3.4 oz. or slightly less than ½ cup) water
1 tsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. potato starch (or corn starch)
4 tsp. water (for dissolving the starch)
Toasted sesame seeds (as garnish)
Oil (canola oil, olive oil, safflower oil, or other oil) for deep frying
- Wash sweet potato, then cut into irregular sizes.
- Heat oil to 170ºC (338º F) and deep fry potato over medium heat until tender (until you can easily pierce it with a bamboo skewer or toothpick).
- Put the water, soy sauce and sugar in a pot and heat until it bubbles. Turn down heat and add potato starch dissolved in water*, stirring until the glaze thickens.
- Place the deep-fried sweet potatoes into the pot of glaze and mix until the potatoes are evenly coated with the glaze.
- Add the sesame seeds and mix again.
*To make katakuriko potato sauce, mix 2 teaspoons potato starch (katakuriko) with 4 teaspoons cold water in a cup and stir well. Add this mixture to hot liquid.
Recipe (PDF 168KB)