SOTOZEN.COM > Practice > Food as Practice > Recipes > Tofu stuffed eggplants
Tofu stuffed eggplants
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 Medium size longeggplant
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 80gr Tofu
- 1/2 clove ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- A pinch of dried red chili peppers
- 4 TBS Sweet bell peppers (red and yellow), chopped finely
- Seasonings (mix the following in a small bowl):
- 1/2 TBS Red Miso
- 1 TBS Soy sauce
- 1 TBS Water
- 1 TBS Sake
- 1 tsp Potato starch dissolved in 1 TBS water
- 100ml Water
- Garnished (optional):
- Pine nuts for garnishing
- And / or
- Shredded red chili pepper
- Wash eggplants, peel off the skin longitudinally, about 1.5cm apart, creating a striped pattern. Soak in salted water for half an hour, rinse and pat dry.
- In a skillet, heat sesame oil and fry eggplant untillightly golden and somewhat tender. Set aside.
- Using kitchen paper, eliminate excess water from Tofu. Finely chop or crumble it with hands.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet and fryminced ginger and a tiny pinch of dried red chili pepper for about 20 seconds. Add finely chopped sweet bell pepper and tofu and saute.
- Pour in the seasoning mixture (miso, sake, soy sauce and water) and mix well. At the end, pour the potato starch dissolved in water to thicken the tofu stuffing.
- Make a vertical incision on the eggplant, open it and fill with tofu stuffing.
- Place stuffed tofu in a skillet, add water, cover the skillet and steam cook.
- When the water is evaporated and eggplants are tender, take them out of the skillet. Cut into bite-sizes, sprinkle with pine nuts or shredded red chili peppers (optional).
Recipe (PDF 258KB)