The celebrated priest Gyoki (668–749) founded the temple Moro-oka-ji on the scenic Noto Peninsula overlooking the Sea of Japan. After serving as an Esoteric Buddhist temple, in 1321, it was entrusted to one of the two founders of Soto Zen, Keizan Zenji, who renamed it Shogakuzan Sojiji.
Keizan Zenji quickly made Sojiji a major location for Soto Zen training; and after he left, it continued to develop and flourish until most of the monastery compound was destroyed by fire in1898. On this occasion, Sojiji was moved to Yokohama. Then, on the site of the destroyed temple, Sojiji built Sojiji-soin, which still today attracts many worshippers and monks-in-training.
On a spacious (68,000 m2) site, both new buildings and historical buildings that escaped the fire harmonize with the beautiful Noto Peninsula setting, where monks-in-training devote themselves to a strict daily regimen. While still hinting at what the original head temple was like, Sojiji-soin is eagerly at working creating new traditions.
Two hours by the Monzen-yuki Express Bus from the famous castle town Kanazawa and a five-minute walk from the Monzen Bus Terminal. Or a 20-minute bus ride from Anamizu Station on the Nanao line of the Noto Railway.Address: Monzen-machi, Fugeshi-gun, Ishikawa Prefecture 927-2156, Japan